Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Sometimes...

...you just have to do what you want in life.

A lot of perspective comes while planning for a wedding, a cross-country move and a college graduation. So many little details are discussed, and so many arguments ensue. People are never happy with the way you want to do things, and you can never please everybody.

I have always wanted to enjoy a life outside of the Midwest, just to experience the world. To me, being in Ohio isn't living -- not to life's fullest extent. Many people may be happy here their whole lives -- but me? No. The world is so large, and the culture just on the other side of our vast nation is so different that I can't imagine a single person who would never want to leave a place to which they've become accustomed. Even just for a moment. It's ridiculous to miss out on life experiences just because of fear.

I've never feared getting married, sharing a life with someone, moving to a place where nobody knows me, graduating from college and getting a job. I'm young, intelligent and happy, and completely ready to take on the world. I want to experience a new way of life, and there's nothing wrong with moving away from friends and family to achieve that.

It doesn't mean you never keep in touch. It doesn't mean you never visit. My door is open, and I can't wait to show off my new home in Coos Bay. It's a constant vacation, just like when we lived in The Dalles, Ore., for a few months. Doesn't everybody deserve to live in a place where you feel a zest for life?

When you begin a new life with someone you love, it should be just that: new. I want to learn about life with him alone, learn to swim instead of sink without the backup of parents on which to lean. Family is important, but eventually you branch out on your own to create new traditions and a new home and a new family. 

Sometimes, you just need to do what makes you happiest, and overlook the tiny details that mean nothing in life. People won't remember our wedding in 15 years, but we'll still be married. I won't remember all the classes I took in college, but I'll still have the skills.

Sometimes, when you look back, you will realize that the little details didn't actually matter, despite how much time and effort you put into them. All I know is my faith and my love are unshakeable, and I plan to live life exactly how I always pictured it, despite what outside opinions and societal norms have tried to instill upon me.

"No storm or heavy weather will rock the boat you'll see."

No comments:

Post a Comment