Sunday, July 26, 2009

Early days

Finally John returns from the camping trip and finally we can organize the place that at one time looked like a man in his 20s lived alone with two cats. Oh wait.

The place is starting to look a little better, although maybe still a little college-esque, but we figure we'll want to buy bedroom sets and things that match, so we're not throwing money into something that we're not going to use later. Besides, I'm fine with sleeping on a mattress on the floor.

As John closes down with Summer Academy, I'm just beginning work. 40-hour weeks might be a little much right now, especially since in journalism, 40-hour weeks generally mean 45-50-hours. Especially when this is a trial for a permanent job and I have to go above and beyond. But I can see the sports writing in the distance, so I'm pushing through.

Everyone here has been so nice. We actually met a lady who owns a cute shop downtown who lived in The Dalles for 20 years, so we had a good discussion about the differences and similarities between The Dalles and Coos Bay. What a small world. My interview with a retired lady out in Allegany turned into a drive through her tiny town, meeting people and learning about the area for three hours. She was so nice, invited me inside for a Pepsi and gave John and I so many fresh veggies and garlic that we almost don't know what to do with it all!

Right now, we're just counting down the days until we get to go on our honeymoon. We definitely deserve a week away to not think about anything, but it might be difficult to put out of my mind that the fate of my job will be decided when we get back. And we still have so many thank you cards to mail, name change information sheets to fill out and so many things to switch over and share. I can see why women don't change their names anymore...not because they're crazy feminists, but just because they make it far too difficult.

We couldn't have had a better first weekend as a married couple. It's been a long time coming, and it feels so relieving, and I'm sure he would agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment