Thursday, November 5, 2009

Happiness, but something's missing...

We're happy, just him and me. Although having the cats are really great. They make us laugh, and act like they love us when really they're just happy that we feed them. And this small, two-bedroom apartment wouldn't hold much more than just us, and the bathroom could stand to be a little bigger. Mornings are a little tight, and cats weave in and out of our legs to try to trip us.

But overall, just sitting on the couch in silence, just him and me, talking about our day, watching television or anything else, is just enough. And I like not having much to think about after work, because I'm not sure I can actually think after work. I don't want to. I can't. My eyes blur over and my mind blanks out, and just last night I had to pump out two feature articles due this morning while knowing dishes needed to be done and laundry needed to be washed and groceries needed to be purchased. But I couldn't do any of those things.

But I got my articles done by 10 p.m., just in time to shower and go to bed. Can I ask where and when young couples add more stress to their lives, just because they're married and feel the need to buy a house and have 90 pets and birth children exactly nine months after they get married? Why do they do this?

It's ridiculous, truly. I'm enjoying the simple life, although not so simple, but so much simpler than so many people. And I wonder if the added stress is ever truly worth it, when we got married for just each other and nothing else. I prefer to live with a little extra time, because I don't get much, and without an overabundance of possessions that we'll never use. If I could spend all of our extra money on small trips together and dinners out, just to enjoy each other's presence, I would, and I know he would too.

Though a dog would look awful cute running on the sand right about here:

No comments:

Post a Comment